- We’re on YouTube!
- Do you believe you can attract good or bad things due to your outlook on life or who you keep in your circle? Today we discuss the Law of Attraction as well as God disciplining believers based on what we do.
Defining Law of Attraction and God’s Discipline
- The idea that there’s a spiritual or cosmic force that acts as a catalyst for attracting good or bad things to people based on their outlook, perception or dealings in life.
- Also, does God allow bad things to happen to you because you’re not living or believing a certain way?
- Special spiritual revelation or knowledge (Gnosis) and that by being in tune with this revelation you could obtain enlightenment and salvation from God.
- This material world, which is flawed is considered evil.
- Gnosticism can be shored up this way – spiritual good, material bad.
- Law of Attraction idea is related to this ancient belief. The more you’re in tune with the spiritual (which is good), by way of meditation, focus, outlook, etc… you can attract positive spiritual forces. If not, you’re left attracting negative things from the material world into your life
God punishing us for not doing X
- Birthed out of the idea of human achievement and deity appeasement.
- Goes back to the days of ancient paganism where people would sacrifice to appease angry God.
- Man has always been tried to make up for the sin of rebellion.
- Once Jesus came the idea of grace became much more clear but man still clings to the idea of redeeming himself; ie works righteousness.
Is this even Biblical?
Both ideas are anti-biblical and rub counter to the character and nature of God.
- Laws of Attraction assume the Watch Maker idea, that God just set things into motion and everything runs all on its own. That he is not active or involved. This isn’t true; hence Abraham.
- The idea God is punishing or disrupting lives because they aren’t following Him precisely runs counter to what we saw with Job.
- Jesus was sinless and took the wrath of God. This runs counter to the Laws of Attraction
- And what about the wicked who are living great lives or the righteous who are enduring persecution?
- Matthew 5:45 (God blesses the wicked and righteous)
so that you may be children of your Father in heaven. For he causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
What can we do?
- Chase after God’s heart like David.
- God is faithful to save each and everyone of us and once Jesus has hold of us, nobody can snatch us out of His hand.
- He is in control. God will give us all we need to be sustained here on earth while rewarding us with the ultimate prize of eternity in His Kingdom.