Today I answer some of YOUR questions and discuss women being silent in the church.
Paul’s statements (controversial verses)
1 Corinthians 14:34
34 the women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but are to submit themselves, as the law also says
1 Timothy 2:12
I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to remain quiet.
Look through the lens of God’s character
26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness. They will rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the livestock, the whole earth, and the creatures that crawl on the earth.” 27 So God created man in his own image; he created him in the image of God; he created them male and female
- God has never viewed women as less than. It’s simply not possible due to the nature of how God created Adam and Eve; in HIS IMAGE.
- God has a special relationship with mankind
1 Peter 1:10-12
10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who prophesied about the grace that would come to you, searched and carefully investigated. 11 They inquired into what time or what circumstances the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating when he testified in advance to the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you. These things have now been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven — angels long to catch a glimpse of these things.
Are Women in the church valued as less than?
- Paul is delivers framework as to how they are to corporately exist. In fact Paul points out the problem they’re having in 1 Corinthians 1:10+.
1 Corinthians 1:10-12 (The Division)
10 Now I urge you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree in what you say, that there be no divisions among you, and that you be united with the same understanding and the same conviction. 11 For it has been reported to me about you, my brothers and sisters, by members of Chloe’s people, that there is rivalry among you. 12
People were fighting for attention
1 Corinthians 1:14-29-30 (Prophets being silenced which would also include MEN)
Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should evaluate. 30 But if something has been revealed to another person sitting there, the first prophet should be silent. (1 Co 14:29–30)
1 Corinthians 1:14-33 (The Disorder)
33 since God is not a God of disorder but of peace
- He goes on to mention if women want to learn something to ask their husbands in their own home;
1 Corinthians 1:14-35-36 (Women should ask questions at home, not in the church)
35 If they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home, since it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church. 36 Or did the word of God originate from you, or did it come to you only?
Corinthians were tripp’n
- Chapter 11 Paul talks to the Corinthians about concerning head coverings to help them understand headship / authority / roles in the home.
- Chapter 11: 17 Paul reprimands them for making a mockery of the Lord’s Supper.
1 Corinthians 11:5 (Women pray & prophecy)
Every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since that is one and the same as having her head shaved.
Titus 2:3-5 (Women teaching..)
3 In the same way, older women are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not slaves to excessive drinking. They are to teach what is good, 4 so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands and to love their children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, workers at home, kind, and in submission to their husbands, so that God’s word will not be slandered.
1 Timothy 2:9-13 (Women learning)
Also, the women are to dress themselves in modest clothing, with decency and good sense, not with elaborate hairstyles, gold, pearls, or expensive apparel, 10 but with good works, as is proper for women who profess to worship God. 11 A woman is to learn quietly with full submission. 12 I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
- What Paul was communicating was God is a God order, women are to be submissive in their role as it relates to creation, and that women are just as valuable as men within His design.
- This idea of headship and authority, is not regelated to just the home but everywhere. God’s design isn’t to be changed by geographic location.
- 1 Timothy 2:12-14 (Eve got out of her lane; Adam followed)
I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and transgressed.
- Women aren’t less important or less valuable because they have a different role. Jesus submitting Himself to become sinless lamb didn’t make Him any less valuable as God.